Better Than Sex.. Mick Fitzgerald
Very good book, told in a style you would expect from someone like Mick. Although written for him it is a really interesting, honest book and for those who love their racing its a real insight into the side you do not see. I have read lots of racing biographies and usually I skip the pages about childhood and those that go off the racing theme. This book is all racing and I presume that is because Mick Fitz is racing through and through. He tells it as it is and doesn't flower things up, one of the best I have read. Highly Recommended.
Dave Nevison....A Bloody Good Winner and No Easy Money
I enjoyed both books, but I was not gripped in the way that Mick Fitz did. The latest offering is like a diary / blog and probably would have more effect as a blog as it would be topical rather than you having to recall events and meetings of several months ago. A bloody Good Winner is an interesting insight, and is worth a read. In the second book you get frustrated with Nevison's pursuit of the Scoop6, so obsessed he ends up making a NET LOSS spending thousands on pool betting, You end up wanting to shout at him and tell him to get a grip and keep the 100k he makes without the pool betting and not spend 120k trying to land the big one. In Summary: I'd wait for the paperback, but worth a read if not necessarily worth the £18 cover price!
Brough Scott, Of Horses and Heroes
This is not my cup of tea, I'm sure it appeals to many and is well written and Brough Scott is a highly respected writer, but for me this just didn't grab me, I think a good book makes you feel part of it, like you are there, but this didn't. I am sure many will think it excellent, but to me it was not enthralling! Like I said, just my thoughts. If anyone wants this they can buy mine for £10. Its immaculate!
Some Older Books I can Recommend...
Baxter Vs The Bookies and More Baxter Vs The Bookies
These are two of the best racing books I've ever read, Hapless Baxter is a tipster and the stories of his life maybe ring home a bit for me, but the short stories make you smile and I recommend these to anyone with an interest in racing. You can get these from Amazon, really worth a read.
The Grey Horse- Dessert Orchid.
Brilliant read written by his main owner.
Ouija Board
I loved this mare and this book is a really good read by Lord Derby.
John Francome - Born Lucky
Another Honest read. Very good.
Barney Curley- Giving Something back
Just an essential read for every punter. Hard to get (not in print now) but don't get ripped off, if you shop about you can get it at a reasonable price.
The Coup- Ken Payne
Old book, but really thrilling!
Timmy Murphy Riding The Storm
You really get to know Timmy Murphy who has turned his life around.
The worst racing book ever...
Richard Johnson's-written a few years ago, for commercial reasons (after the Zara Philips relationship ended) and you just feel he hasn't gone very far on the journey to produce a book of his life. He wrote it aged 26! The book wasn't badly written, you just feel exploited when you have read it because it was written to capitalise on his notoriety outside of racing, in my view that is! I bought it off eBay for £4 and gave it to the local church book stall afterwards! I hope at the end of his career he will right the wrong and write a decent comprehensive book.
Very good book, told in a style you would expect from someone like Mick. Although written for him it is a really interesting, honest book and for those who love their racing its a real insight into the side you do not see. I have read lots of racing biographies and usually I skip the pages about childhood and those that go off the racing theme. This book is all racing and I presume that is because Mick Fitz is racing through and through. He tells it as it is and doesn't flower things up, one of the best I have read. Highly Recommended.
Dave Nevison....A Bloody Good Winner and No Easy Money
I enjoyed both books, but I was not gripped in the way that Mick Fitz did. The latest offering is like a diary / blog and probably would have more effect as a blog as it would be topical rather than you having to recall events and meetings of several months ago. A bloody Good Winner is an interesting insight, and is worth a read. In the second book you get frustrated with Nevison's pursuit of the Scoop6, so obsessed he ends up making a NET LOSS spending thousands on pool betting, You end up wanting to shout at him and tell him to get a grip and keep the 100k he makes without the pool betting and not spend 120k trying to land the big one. In Summary: I'd wait for the paperback, but worth a read if not necessarily worth the £18 cover price!
Brough Scott, Of Horses and Heroes
This is not my cup of tea, I'm sure it appeals to many and is well written and Brough Scott is a highly respected writer, but for me this just didn't grab me, I think a good book makes you feel part of it, like you are there, but this didn't. I am sure many will think it excellent, but to me it was not enthralling! Like I said, just my thoughts. If anyone wants this they can buy mine for £10. Its immaculate!
Some Older Books I can Recommend...
Baxter Vs The Bookies and More Baxter Vs The Bookies
These are two of the best racing books I've ever read, Hapless Baxter is a tipster and the stories of his life maybe ring home a bit for me, but the short stories make you smile and I recommend these to anyone with an interest in racing. You can get these from Amazon, really worth a read.
The Grey Horse- Dessert Orchid.
Brilliant read written by his main owner.
Ouija Board
I loved this mare and this book is a really good read by Lord Derby.
John Francome - Born Lucky
Another Honest read. Very good.
Barney Curley- Giving Something back
Just an essential read for every punter. Hard to get (not in print now) but don't get ripped off, if you shop about you can get it at a reasonable price.
The Coup- Ken Payne
Old book, but really thrilling!
Timmy Murphy Riding The Storm
You really get to know Timmy Murphy who has turned his life around.
The worst racing book ever...
Richard Johnson's-written a few years ago, for commercial reasons (after the Zara Philips relationship ended) and you just feel he hasn't gone very far on the journey to produce a book of his life. He wrote it aged 26! The book wasn't badly written, you just feel exploited when you have read it because it was written to capitalise on his notoriety outside of racing, in my view that is! I bought it off eBay for £4 and gave it to the local church book stall afterwards! I hope at the end of his career he will right the wrong and write a decent comprehensive book.

Thanks, this is interesting. I love a good read. Do You like fiction, Dick Francis etc?
ReplyDelete